Iraq to celebrate addition of Samarra to World Heritage List
Jassem Jaafar, the minister, said his ministry was planning a major festival to mark UNESCO’s decision. “The festival has to match the significance of Samarra as an ancient and holy Iraqi city,” he said.
Samarra is holy to both Muslim Sunnis and Shiites as it contains remains of the Great Mosque and its Spiral Minaret as well as the tombs of several Shiite Imams.
comments powered by Disqus
- Columbia University Releases Eric Foner’s Civil War MOOCs. It's Free!
- Historian Geoffrey Ward tells CBS: Fox News would have ‘loved’ to show FDR with polio ‘at his most helpless’
- Eric Hobsbawm is remembered as a polyglot of a kind that's vanished
- Once again Ken Burns turns to Geoffrey Ward to write his script, this time about the Roosevelts
- Historian warns that countries go into decline when they become rigid, oppress minorities, and become weak militarily