Iraq to celebrate addition of Samarra to World Heritage ListBreaking News
Jassem Jaafar, the minister, said his ministry was planning a major festival to mark UNESCO’s decision. “The festival has to match the significance of Samarra as an ancient and holy Iraqi city,” he said.
Samarra is holy to both Muslim Sunnis and Shiites as it contains remains of the Great Mosque and its Spiral Minaret as well as the tombs of several Shiite Imams.
comments powered by Disqus
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Hitler's phone, 'the most destructive 'weapon' of all time,' sold for $243,000
- NYT features fascinating story about Ford’s fantasyland in Brazil
- Mark Zuckerberg issues manifesto on the future of Facebook that rests on insights of Israeli historian Yuval Harari
- Migration To Americas Came in Waves, According to Big Data
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans