Hindu patriots protest Britons on Raj mutiny trailBreaking News
The activists from India's main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) shouted "English go home" and "Hail Mother India" in Lucknow city, where the visitors were due to arrive later Monday.
The British tourists intend to follow a trail across several sites in northern India which are associated with the revolt that shook the empire 150 years ago.
The group was to mark Tuesday's anniversary of the recapture by British forces of Lucknow, a key battleground and now the capital of northern Uttar Pradesh state.
Among the British tourists is historian Rosie Llewellyn Jones, who has written a book on the revolt that ended the East India Company's sway in India, making way for direct rule by the London government.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges