Hindu patriots protest Britons on Raj mutiny trailBreaking News
The activists from India's main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) shouted "English go home" and "Hail Mother India" in Lucknow city, where the visitors were due to arrive later Monday.
The British tourists intend to follow a trail across several sites in northern India which are associated with the revolt that shook the empire 150 years ago.
The group was to mark Tuesday's anniversary of the recapture by British forces of Lucknow, a key battleground and now the capital of northern Uttar Pradesh state.
Among the British tourists is historian Rosie Llewellyn Jones, who has written a book on the revolt that ended the East India Company's sway in India, making way for direct rule by the London government.
comments powered by Disqus
- Lincoln University historian mourns decision to abolish the history major
- Hamilton College conservative historian questions diversity requirement
- Historians on Donald Trump: A Huge Hit on Facebook
- Historians Against Trump: Tweets During the GOP Convention
- The next president of the American Historical Association will be ...