Rising Seas Likely to Flood U.S. HistoryBreaking News
In about a century, some of the places that make America what it is may be slowly erased.
Global warming - through a combination of melting glaciers, disappearing ice sheets and warmer waters expanding - is expected to cause oceans to rise by one meter, or about 39 inches. It will happen regardless of any future actions to curb greenhouse gases, several leading scientists say. And it will reshape the nation.
Rising waters will lap at the foundations of old money Wall Street and the new money towers of Silicon Valley. They will swamp the locations of big city airports and major interstate highways.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 9/26/2007
I don't recall who wrote it but someone said, "The earth is it's own master." Hysterical concern for the loss of land if the seas rise is a waste of time. Man will adapt whatever the exigency, man survived ice age conditions that pushed up hills and mountains and gouged out valleys and rivers, surely man will adapt if seas rise. It won't happen in TV, movie or Algore time, if it happens at all it will be over centuries, if not mellennia. A sudden tide will not wipe out Jamestown, or what remains of Jamestown. Time, dirt and silt are taking care of that job, studying the site requires burrowing down 15 or 20 feet. Don't we have enough to worry about now, what with trying to live where it is stupid to build, e.g., New Orleans, without worrying that Wall Street and its activities might have to move to high ground, perhaps the Catskills, in years to come.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity