Holocaust Survivor Will Recall Treblinka EscapeBreaking News
Perhaps less familiar to the ear is Treblinka, a death camp once located about 60 miles northeast of Warsaw, Poland, and one of the most vicious of the facilities instituted to effect the "final solution." Treblinka, which was in operation from July 1942 until October 1943, was the site of approximately 800,000 Jewish deaths.
"Dachau was like a hotel," said Treblinka survivor Edi Weinstein. "Treblinka was worse than Auschwitz. In Auschwitz they killed the women, children and older men right away, but there were hundreds of thousands of others working in the industries [around the concentration camp]. When you see pictures of the prisoners with numbers, those are the workers. In Treblinka there were no names, there were no numbers-they killed everyone. [A few Jews were] put to work, but only to kill others."
Indeed, during its final months 99 percent of the victims died within two hours of reaching Treblinka. Mr. Weinstein made a near-miraculous escape from the camp, becoming one of fewer than 100 former inmates to survive the horror. Now in his 80s and living on Long Island, he will present a program at Kent Memorial Library Sept.15 at 4 p.m. Mr. Weinstein, will present his story as part of the "Those Who Have Made a Difference" series offered at the library.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity