Columnist compares "self-loathing" Jewish historian to Larry Craig, but doesn't name himHistorians in the News
When I was a young man I knew a renowned art historian, born a Jew, whose loathing for his co-religionists knew no boundaries. It was the nineteen fifties and this distinguished and successful man -- whom I do not name out of consideration for his living children -- devoted much of his time to living in a pretend WASP world. The Holocaust and the long history of persecution that Jews had suffered had not opened his heart to his own people, it had caused him to shut off any feeling for them. Through a connection to then President Eisenhower, he even managed to purchase an apartment in an elegant "restricted" Fifth Avenue apartment building. He married his young gentile Smith College graduate assistant, and for all his success, deeply resented that his religion kept him from a place on the board of the Metropolitan Museum of Art which was then off limits to Jews. When a famed Jewish art collector and philanthropist died, and left his remarkable art collection to the state of Israel with the proviso that this "expert" deliver the dedication speech, the art historian kept postponing the trip until he was forced to go by his young wife. As he descended the airplane steps into the Holy Land, he fell forward and dropped dead. He was buried in Israel where he will lie for eternity. A sad, true, and dare I say it, funny story. We all know such people. Their self loathing is often explainable, the effects of a hostile culture upon them in their youth -- explainable but never justifiable, and comically tragic....
And now we have another champion self-loather in Senator Larry Craig....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity