Celebrating unsung medical heroesBreaking News
Now Blackwell, in celebration of the opening of its new flagship medical bookstore, is launching a search for unsung medical heroes, those physicians who never received such recognition for their innovations and breakthroughs. For example, did you ever hear of William Brockeden who in 1943 patented the tablet press hence giving us the possibility for the mass production of medicines? A Hungarian doctor, Ignaz Semmelweis, discovered that disease transmission could be prevented through the simple act of washing one’s hands. Surely something we take completely for granted nowadays. Then there is Dr Dilip Mahalanabis who, along with his team, developed oral rehydration therapy (ORT) and in doing so, helped to prevent the death of millions from dehydration from diarrhoea, still the leading cause of death for children in developing countries.
Other nominees include anaesthetists, psychologists and pathologists who have lived and worked throughout the ages....
[You can vote at Blackwell's website.]
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity