Sociologists more worried today about academic freedom than in McCarthy eraBreaking News
That finding — from Neil Gross, an assistant professor of sociology at Harvard University — was among a series of pessimistic papers presented at a forum on academic freedom Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association.
Gross surveyed social science professors last year about whether they had felt that their academic freedom was threatened, and found that about one-third did. In 1955, Paul Lazarsfeld, the late Columbia University professor, did a similar survey and found only one-fifth of professors feeling affected by attacks on their academic freedom.
comments powered by Disqus
William Mandel - 8/18/2007
Early in June, in connection with my 90th birthday, I learned that McCarthy's witch hunt is still a live issue at least in Germany. A film crew came from there and had me on camera for two hours for a documentary they are making on McCarthyism for English-speaking as well as German audiences. They had discovered my nationally-televised testimony before him in 1953 (available on YouTube), which ended with my words: "Poor Sen. McCarthy! You can dish it out but you can't take it. Okay.!" His standing destroyed, he drank himself to death within a year.
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- In Hiroshima 71 years after first atomic strike, Obama calls for end of nuclear weapons
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy