Lincoln may have had facial defectBreaking News
Abraham Lincoln's face had a good side. Now it's
confirmed by science.
Laser scans of two life masks, made from plaster casts
of Lincoln's face, reveal the 16th president's unusual
degree of facial asymmetry, according to a new study.
The left side of Lincoln's face was much smaller than
the right, an aberration called cranial facial
microsomia. The defect joins a long list of ailments ˜
including smallpox, heart illness and depression ˜
that modern doctors have diagnosed in Lincoln.
Lincoln's contemporaries noted his left eye at times
drifted upward independently of his right eye, a
condition now termed strabismus. Lincoln's smaller
left eye socket may have displaced a muscle
controlling vertical movement, said Dr. Ronald
Fishman, who led the study published in the August
issue of the Archives of Ophthalmology.
comments powered by Disqus
Joseph Buberger - 8/19/2007
Here's a neat trick I learned from Lincoln scholar Harold Holzer. Cover one half of Lincoln's face, life mask or photograph, with a piece of paper. You will see that one side of Lincoln's face has a smile while the other side appears to have a frown.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity