Hemings' descendants meet at MonticelloBreaking News
At the first Monticello Community Gathering over the weekend, attendees discussed family ties and toured downtown Charlottesville and Monticello.
Organizer Diana Redman calls the gathering "an opportunity to get beyond the racial issues." Redman is a descendant of Madison Hemings, one of Hemings' sons.
The Monticello Association has adamantly denied membership to Hemings' descendants, citing lack of evidence that Thomas Jefferson fathered her children.
comments powered by Disqus
Herbert Barger - 7/17/2007
For a full discussion of this Hemings-Jefferson controversy go to web pages: www.angelfire.com/va/TJTruth and www.tjheritage.org. Here you will find a link to the Scholars Commission Report (13 full scholars) that found NO proof of Thomas Jefferson fathering slave children. For three years the Monticello Assn. (TJ descendants) researched many sources including the Monticello Study, the Scholars Commission Reports and their own research facilities and found NO proof of this rumor started by a disgruntled and scandaleous reporter in the Campaign Lies of 1802.
Most of the research points to his much younger brother, Randolph, who was between wives during Sally's childbearing years. As soon as he remarried in 1808 or 1809 Sally had no more children. He was invited to visit Monticello exactly 9 months prior to Eston Hemings's birth.
Jefferson Family Historian
- The six-day war: why Israel is still divided over its legacy 50 years on
- "Space archaeology" transforms how ancient sites are discovered
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?