Hemings' descendants meet at Monticello
At the first Monticello Community Gathering over the weekend, attendees discussed family ties and toured downtown Charlottesville and Monticello.
Organizer Diana Redman calls the gathering "an opportunity to get beyond the racial issues." Redman is a descendant of Madison Hemings, one of Hemings' sons.
The Monticello Association has adamantly denied membership to Hemings' descendants, citing lack of evidence that Thomas Jefferson fathered her children.
comments powered by Disqus
Herbert Barger - 7/18/2007
For a full discussion of this Hemings-Jefferson controversy go to web pages: www.angelfire.com/va/TJTruth and www.tjheritage.org. Here you will find a link to the Scholars Commission Report (13 full scholars) that found NO proof of Thomas Jefferson fathering slave children. For three years the Monticello Assn. (TJ descendants) researched many sources including the Monticello Study, the Scholars Commission Reports and their own research facilities and found NO proof of this rumor started by a disgruntled and scandaleous reporter in the Campaign Lies of 1802.
Most of the research points to his much younger brother, Randolph, who was between wives during Sally's childbearing years. As soon as he remarried in 1808 or 1809 Sally had no more children. He was invited to visit Monticello exactly 9 months prior to Eston Hemings's birth.
Jefferson Family Historian
- Isis profits from destruction of antiquities by selling relics to dealers – and then blowing up the buildings they come from to conceal the evidence of looting
- China military parade commemorates WW2 victory over Japan
- New documentary explores the legacy of the 5,000 Rosenwald schools set up by a Sears magnate and Booker T. Washington
- Rare silent Native American movie of 1920s attracting a lot of interest
- It happened in Idaho and was the largest massacre of Indians in US history, but where exactly did it take place?
- Historians of Color Are Revolutionizing the Narrative of ‘American Exceptionalism’
- Henry VIII voted worst monarch in history
- The Fuhrer style: Historian says press coverage of Hitler’s lavish life fueled his rise to power
- Two scholars from UT object to the Texas school's decision to remove the statue of Jefferson Davis
- A history professor explains why Americans are so prone to conspiracy theories