Bush like Hitler, says first Muslim in CongressBreaking News
Addressing a gathering of atheists in his home state of Minnesota, Keith Ellison, a Democrat, compared the 9/11 atrocities to the destruction of the Reichstag, the German parliament, in 1933. This was probably burned down by the Nazis in order to justify Hitler's later seizure of emergency powers.
"It's almost like the Reichstag fire, kind of reminds me of that," Mr Ellison said. "After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it, and it put the leader [Hitler] of that country in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted."
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 7/18/2007
Mr. Besch, I don't recall Bush making any such speech. It's more likely some blogger put those words in his mouth. There's nothing akin to Hitler and Stalin's pacts, or Japanese forays into Manchuria, in anything that we've done in the Middle East. We've become handcuffed by our solicitude towards enemies, no matter how uncivilized they act we turn the other cheek. It will be our ruination. That should gladden your heart.
Randll Reese Besch - 7/18/2007
Well the Hitler-Stalil pact lead from the invasion of Poland which was a war crime. The Japanese invasion and occupation of Manchuria for the same reason. Tried and hanged. What the USA & UK did to Iraq and perhaps Afghanistan fits that criterian.
Remember the speach about how Bush wanted a "Perl Harbor" kind of occurance and wanted to be a dictator?
Vernon Clayson - 7/18/2007
First Muslim? Perhaps some might think so but it is a tenuous connection, not one that is acceptable to real Muslims. They might find a way to use him but accept him, never, he's an infidel. He's Nation of Islam, they are a cult, more wannabe than a real Muslim. They are few in number and despite his credentials as a legal eagle he is an anomaly, they apparently find most of their converts in our prison systems.
George Shriver - 7/18/2007
Ellison is not much of an historian nor interpreter. As bad as Bush is, he does not compare to Hitler. It must also be said that Ellison is a poor representative of his district for such a foolish statement. His statement does compare favorably with those of the folk who compare the Iraq mistake to the 2nd World War !
Richard Landes - 7/18/2007
good luck looking for gratitude from ellison. he's got other "peer groups" to report back to, and they punish criticism far more swiftly and cruelly than does the "totalitarian" bush.
Norman Charles Yeager - 7/17/2007
Minnesota Congressman Keith Ellison is a recent convert to Islam and there is no doubt where exactly, his sympathies lie. He should remember that there is virtually no Islamic nation on this planet where he could attain a similar, elected position.
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"