Dozen bishops tied to Polish secret police
But a top bishop warned that the documents may not be an accurate guide on how much the bishops cooperated.
Poland’s Catholic bishops asked the special church commission to review their communist- era files in January, after a scandal in which Archbishop Stanislaw Wielgus of Warsaw resigned just before his installation over disclosures he had cooperated with the former secret police.
Other prominent clergy have also resigned over similar allegations. The revelations have forced the church, revered in Poland for its resistance to the communists, to confront an issue believed to have compromised a minority of clergy.
comments powered by Disqus
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?