Dozen bishops tied to Polish secret policeBreaking News
But a top bishop warned that the documents may not be an accurate guide on how much the bishops cooperated.
Poland’s Catholic bishops asked the special church commission to review their communist- era files in January, after a scandal in which Archbishop Stanislaw Wielgus of Warsaw resigned just before his installation over disclosures he had cooperated with the former secret police.
Other prominent clergy have also resigned over similar allegations. The revelations have forced the church, revered in Poland for its resistance to the communists, to confront an issue believed to have compromised a minority of clergy.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump visits the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- New Book Says Bob Woodward Burned Hillary Clinton’s Ghostwriter
- For decades they hid Jefferson’s relationship with her. Now Monticello is making room for Sally Hemings.
- In a Walt Whitman Novel, Lost for 165 Years, Clues to ‘Leaves of Grass’
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit