Dozen bishops tied to Polish secret policeBreaking News
But a top bishop warned that the documents may not be an accurate guide on how much the bishops cooperated.
Poland’s Catholic bishops asked the special church commission to review their communist- era files in January, after a scandal in which Archbishop Stanislaw Wielgus of Warsaw resigned just before his installation over disclosures he had cooperated with the former secret police.
Other prominent clergy have also resigned over similar allegations. The revelations have forced the church, revered in Poland for its resistance to the communists, to confront an issue believed to have compromised a minority of clergy.
comments powered by Disqus
- Why You Should Feel Free to Ignore Polls for a Few Weeks
- Neanderthals in Germany Went Extinct Right After Population Peak
- A Worker Broke a Window at Yale and Shed Light on History
- Which Barack Obama speech is the one for the history books?
- A Brief History Of Spousal Speeches At Political Conventions