School named after eugenics leader is now Rosa Parks Middle SchoolBreaking News
The vote was 5 in favor, with one abstention and 1 no vote. Member Michael Navarrete voted no on the grounds that he wanted a person with local roots to be put on the middle school.
13 year old Michael Zamora, who introduced himself to the board tonight as "a leader from the last graduating class of Goethe Middle School" brought to the board's attention an election that he helped to conduct on campus which almost unanimously supported the Rosa Parks option for the new name. Several board members cited their strong belief in honoring the student body's conclusion in their "yes" vote for Rosa Parks.
Wanda Williams, administrative assistant at the school site for the past 17 years, was elated with the decision. "I am a child of the south. I grew up not being able to approach the soda fountain at the drug store because I wasn't white. We are happy to be rid of Charles M. Goethe's ugly legacy on our beautiful school. There is great poetic justice in the fact that the new namesake comes from a woman who's very life's blood represented a set of values totally opposite the ideology of Goethe. I am looking forward to our renaming-slash- exorcism ceremony before the start of next school year."
The other two name options were Ruth Holbrook and Mitsui Endo. A motion to vote on the name Ruth Holbrook was carried by member Roy Grimes early in the evening. His motion failed with only 3 yes votes.
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize