Amistad ship retraces slave route
The Freedom Schooner Amistad will set sail from the US east coast and stop in Europe, Africa and the Caribbean.
In 1839, 53 slaves mutinied on board the Amistad. They were captured, but won freedom in a historic legal battle.
The story was depicted in the film Amistad directed by Steven Spielberg in 1997.
The replica of the Amistad, whose name in Spanish means "friendship", will set sail on its 16-month trip from New Haven, Connecticut, at 1800 GMT.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘The Interview’: Seven Other Controversial Film Releases in History
- New Stonehenge Discovery Hailed As 'Most Important In 60 Years'
- Judge Rules 14-Year-Old's Execution a 'Travesty of Justice' in Case in the Jim Crow South
- Lawsuit May Reshape Tourist Industry in History-Rich Savannah
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Turns 75