Thatcher: Falklands was a war against tyrannyBreaking News
In the radio message recorded for the British Forces Broadcasting Service, she said the battle to reclaim the Falkland Islands was a "just" cause.
She added that the struggle against "tyranny and violence" continued today, and that serving troops could draw "hope and strength" from previous victories.
Lady Thatcher's message has been beamed to the islanders and British troops around the world.
Speaking of the Falklands, Lady Thatcher said: "Aggression was defeated and reversed. The wishes of local people were upheld as paramount. Britain's honour and interests prevailed.
"The whole nation rejoiced at the success; and we should still rejoice."
The broadcast by the 81-year-old former prime minister, who ordered a British taskforce to the south Atlantic after the invasion by Argentina, follows her visit yesterday to an exhibition commemorating the Royal Navy's role in the conflict at the Royal Navy Museum in Portsmouth.
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 6/14/2007
She would have lost the next General Election if she hadn't pulled that 'war' out of her hat!!
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges