Thatcher: Falklands was a war against tyrannyBreaking News
In the radio message recorded for the British Forces Broadcasting Service, she said the battle to reclaim the Falkland Islands was a "just" cause.
She added that the struggle against "tyranny and violence" continued today, and that serving troops could draw "hope and strength" from previous victories.
Lady Thatcher's message has been beamed to the islanders and British troops around the world.
Speaking of the Falklands, Lady Thatcher said: "Aggression was defeated and reversed. The wishes of local people were upheld as paramount. Britain's honour and interests prevailed.
"The whole nation rejoiced at the success; and we should still rejoice."
The broadcast by the 81-year-old former prime minister, who ordered a British taskforce to the south Atlantic after the invasion by Argentina, follows her visit yesterday to an exhibition commemorating the Royal Navy's role in the conflict at the Royal Navy Museum in Portsmouth.
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 6/14/2007
She would have lost the next General Election if she hadn't pulled that 'war' out of her hat!!
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history