Publishers get clever with anniversary issues of books on 1857 Mutiny
The sexagenarian country has spawned quite a few books, including historian Ramachandra Guha's magnum opus India After Gandhi and India 60, an anthology of 30 articles and two photo essays edited by Ira Pande. "An anniversary celebration is a nice way to introduce the side of India that few know of," says Guha.
The publishers' sense of history -and profits-is extremely keen. Pramod Kapoor, publisher of Roli Books, says, "We normally chart out the calendar two-three years in advance to release books on anniversaries." Like India Remembered: Personal Account of the Mountbattens During the Transfer of Power by Pamela Mountbatten and India Hicks.
Roli will also be rolling out books on the 1857 Revolt-Boria Majumdar's 1857 Revisited will be launched next month, and Rudrangshu Mukherjee's Dateline 1857 will be out in July. Roli will also come out with a book on the last Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar's court proceedings.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rare silent Native American movie of 1920s attracting a lot of interest
- It happened in Idaho and was the largest massacre of Indians in US history, but where exactly did it take place?
- Junípero Serra’s Missions Destroyed Entire Native Cultures. And Now He’s Going to Be a Saint.
- Isis destruction of Palmyra's Temple of Bel revealed in satellite images
- McKinley's lost his mountain. Should we still remember his presidency?
- Japanese historian upends the familiar narrative of WW 2 by taking a bottom up approach, focusing on fascism from the grassroots
- Holocaust-denying historian David Irving organises 'disgusting' £2,000-a-head holiday tours of former concentration camps and Hitler's HQ so people can 'make up their own mind about the truth'
- 72 history professors sign letter urging removal of Jefferson Davis statue from Kentucky Capitol
- 10 Years After Katrina, the Enduring Value of the Hurricane Digital Memory Bank
- Historian author Antony Beevor says his new World War 2 book may anger Americans