Publishers get clever with anniversary issues of books on 1857 MutinyBreaking News
The sexagenarian country has spawned quite a few books, including historian Ramachandra Guha's magnum opus India After Gandhi and India 60, an anthology of 30 articles and two photo essays edited by Ira Pande. "An anniversary celebration is a nice way to introduce the side of India that few know of," says Guha.
The publishers' sense of history -and profits-is extremely keen. Pramod Kapoor, publisher of Roli Books, says, "We normally chart out the calendar two-three years in advance to release books on anniversaries." Like India Remembered: Personal Account of the Mountbattens During the Transfer of Power by Pamela Mountbatten and India Hicks.
Roli will also be rolling out books on the 1857 Revolt-Boria Majumdar's 1857 Revisited will be launched next month, and Rudrangshu Mukherjee's Dateline 1857 will be out in July. Roli will also come out with a book on the last Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar's court proceedings.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges