Fake tribute to Harriet Tubman?Breaking News
But it might not be in a way Tubman would have recognized. The state so far has snubbed a proposal to honor the most popular Underground Railroad conductor by revamping a Niagara Falls street near where she moved escaped slaves to freedom.
Meanwhile, state officials have begun to embrace a $250,000 plan downriver in Lewiston to create a life-size bronze sculpture that would depict Tubman with Josiah Tryon, Lewiston's station master on the Underground Railroad, helping a slave family step from a rowboat to freedom in Canada.
"This would be the first freedom crossing monument on the border with Canada," said Lee Simonson, of the Historical Association of Lewiston.
A fine idea but for one thing, supporters of the Falls plan say: There's no proof Tubman ever helped Tryon send any slave to freedom from Lewiston.
[HNN: Two days after this news story a local columnist, Rod Watson, blasted the proposal as fake history:
If the folks in Niagara County are smart, they'll learn from Buffalo's experience: Fake history doesn't sell.
And selling is what the effort to capitalize on Underground Railroad icon Harriet Tubman is all about.
That's what makes Lewiston's bid to hijack Tubman's legacy more than just another historical falsehood. It's also about the bottom line: Who will benefit from efforts to create attractions that get Falls tourists to spend more time and money on the U.S. side?
Hence the $250,000 plan for a life-size sculpture of Tubman.
There's just one problem: It's in Lewiston, where Tubman never led escaped slaves across the Niagara River to Canada, but which now wants to claim her.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity