Evacuate Basra Museum, political party toldBreaking News
The Basra Museum was looted shortly after U.S.-led invasion of the country in 2003. The British troops who occupied Basra did nothing to protect the museum.
The museum’s collection of magnificent and priceless artifacts was stolen or broken and homeless families moved into its premises.
A statement by The Antiquities Department faxed to the newspaper says the museum and its annexes are now occupied by an influential political faction in Basra which paid off the families to persuade them to move.
The statement did not name the political party but said its leaders were demanding huge sums of money before leaving.
Most of the museum’s possessions are still missing and the building itself is in need of repairs and renovation.
The statement said the department has received numerous artifacts that belonged to the Basra Museum. It said it hoped its reopening would persuade those still holding its relicts to return them.
The statement said it has received 12 tablets out of hundreds which used to be housed in the museum.
The retrieved collection also includes 72 pottery pieces, 177 coins as well as 33 artifacts representing different stages of Mesopotamian history.
[Chuck Jones, who runs the Iraq Crisis list, commenting on thbis article, says: "the Basra museum had
deposited all its collections in the Iraq Museum in Baghdad, like most of the other museums from other Iraqi cities, just before
the war of 2003, and it did not lose its collections after 2003. It lost its whole collection after the war in 1991."]
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges