Canadians unclear why they got the day offBreaking News
Canada celebrated Victoria Day on Monday with sports on the tube, burgers on the grill and a day off work. But do most people know it's a day to mark Queen Victoria's birthday, he wondered? Or that it isn't even celebrated in Britain?
Or that the Queen's actual birthday is May 24 - today?
It really hit home when he overheard some of his summer students wondering why it's referred to as the 'Two-Four Weekend.'
"The one girl said, 'Well, it's the first weekend of summer and it's the first chance people get to buy a case of 24 beers.
"I thought, holy smokes, did she ever get that out of whack. And she was a history student!"
And so, despite the fact Victoria Day has come and gone, Jouppien will mark the Queen's actual birthday with a colourful banner draped across the restored Egerton Morden House on Corwin Avenue.
comments powered by Disqus
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide
- Enabler or family defender?
- Now it’s Croatia that’s hiding its ghastly World War Two past