Selma D.A. to investigate civil rights era shooting deathBreaking News
And Cager Lee Jr. and his children and grandchildren want to talk about Jimmie Lee Jackson now, after all these years, because today in Selma a special grand jury will convene to consider whether to indict the trooper who shot him, James Bonard Fowler of Geneva.
A number of historical works say Jackson was shot while trying to protect his mother, Viola Jackson, from baton-wielding troopers that night. It’s a version his family stands by.
Fowler, however, told The Star in February 2005 that although he did shoot Jackson during a melee in a restaurant called Mack’s Café, just off the town square, he fired in self-defense as Jackson was trying to take his gun. One of the last surviving troopers who was in the Café with Fowler that evening, R.C. Andrews, told The Star recently that he stands by an affidavit he wrote soon after the shooting, a statement that is similar to Fowler’s.
Cager Lee Jr. was not in Marion that night. He was in the hospital in Birmingham. But his father, Cager Lee Sr., was there and was beaten by troopers along with his sister, Viola.
Cager Lee Jr. did make it to the funeral, an event that he said helped crystallize the civil rights movement.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity