In Goa, Asia's first gunpowder factory being razed
"A huge commercial complex is taking shape on the site where this gun powder factory existed. What's paining is that the site is neglected by state archives and archeology department and nothing is being done to stop it," historian Prajal Sakhardande, a member of Goa Heritage Action Group, stated...
Much like many firsts associated with Goa, the gun powder factory too is the first one which according to the historians used to supply gun powder to Malacca (now part of Malaysia), Muscat, Mozambique, the East African Coast besides various forts in Goa and Diu during Portuguese rule.
"The factory, just 3 km away from heritage monuments of Old Goa, had negro slaves and buffaloes being used to work as its machinery," Sakhardande stated.
Called Casa de Polvora, the factory was brought to Goa during early 16th century in Adil Shah regime, Sakhardande said. After shifting to few places, finally it was placed at Ribander in 1630 by Portuguese government, he adds. [It was closed in 1869.]
comments powered by Disqus
- Egyptian ‘Mona Lisa’ A Fake
- The Story Behind ‘Woman in Gold’: Nazi Art Thieves and One Painting’s Return
- Scott Walker, Allergic to Dogs, May Run Against Political History
- Russian History Receives a Makeover That Starts With Ivan the Terrible
- Parsing Ronald Reagan’s Words for Early Signs of Alzheimer’s
- Joan Waugh on Grant's and Lee's 'gentlemen's agreement' ending the Civil War
- Charlatan or Sage? Contested Legacy of the late Dr. Ben, a Father of African Studies
- Historians make it easy for visitors to DC to understand the history of the Mall
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science