India marks uprising anniversaryBreaking News
The uprising - known as the first Indian War of Independence - was eventually crushed by the British.
Around 10,000 people retraced the march 150 years ago by dozens of mutinous Indian soldiers from Meerut in a bid to capture Delhi.
Monday's marchers dressed like Indian soldiers and British officers and staged mock fights with swords and muskets on top of colourful floats.
They carried huge banners and posters with messages referring to the revolt, which left hundreds of British and Indians dead.
comments powered by Disqus
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors