India marks uprising anniversary
The uprising - known as the first Indian War of Independence - was eventually crushed by the British.
Around 10,000 people retraced the march 150 years ago by dozens of mutinous Indian soldiers from Meerut in a bid to capture Delhi.
Monday's marchers dressed like Indian soldiers and British officers and staged mock fights with swords and muskets on top of colourful floats.
They carried huge banners and posters with messages referring to the revolt, which left hundreds of British and Indians dead.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Affleck Asked PBS to Not Reveal Slave-Owning Ancestor
- Archaeologists Take Wrong Turn, Find World’s Oldest Stone Tools
- Evidence of Pre-Columbus Trade Found in Alaska House
- Rwanda Pullout Driven by Clinton White House, U.N. Equivocation
- Centuries of Italian History Are Unearthed in Quest to Fix Toilet