Marc Mappen: Celebrates New Jersey's claims to fameHistorians in the News
That is just what they got last Wednesday night at the YM-YWHA of Union County, in a talk that offered a rapid rundown of the accomplishments that set the state apart.
Marc Mappen, executive director of the New Jersey Historical Commission, regaled a gathering of around 50 people at a talk cosponsored by the National Council of Jewish Women's Union County Section and the Jewish Historical Society of MetroWest.
Titled "There's More to New Jersey than the Sopranos," Mappen's talk drew history buffs and would-be buffs. Most were senior citizens, who were able to provide a personal angle to Mappen's anecdotes.
"Why are people so contemptuous of our nice little state?" he asked. When you hear that New Jersey is the setting for a joke, "you know something really stupid is going to happen." Even Rodney Dangerfield didn't give Jersey any respect, he said.
But the state also happens to have been home to some very clever people, Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison among them. It has been the setting for the invention of all kinds of things – like Teflon, the submarine, the drive-in cinema, Streptomycin, and bar codes, to name a few.
Mappen's commission is charged with increasing public understanding and appreciation of the state's heritage. He is the author of two books, Jerseyana: The Underside of New Jersey History and Murder and Spies, Lovers and Lies: Settling the Controversies of American History. He is also the coeditor-in-chief of the Encyclopedia of New Jersey.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity