Estonia speeds up plans to find new home for Soviet Soldier
"The Estonian government will begin preparatory works today (Sunday) at the military cemetery in central Tallinn to relocate the Bronze Soldier," the foreign ministry said in a statement.
The 2.5-metre (eight-feet) high statue was removed early Friday from the site in central Tallinn where it had stood for decades, after rioters raged through the capital the night before...
"The government plans to move faster with the relocation of the monument to the new site. It may be done by May 8," government spokeswoman Inga Jagomae told AFP.
Estonians mark the anniversary of victory over the Nazis in World War II on May 8, while the country's ethnic Russian community, which makes up a quarter of the population of 1.34 million, celebrates the end of the war the following day.
comments powered by Disqus
Thomas W Hagedorn - 7/19/2004
Arnold - I would suggest avoiding some of the institutions created by those evil Christians - like 80% of American hospitals, probably a majority of the private colleges (by they way, Christians even had key roles in the founding of many public universities today - eg Ohio U. and Miami U. as two examples). Then there is the United Way (founded by Christian ministers in Denver), Salvation (yikes, that is actually a Protestant religion!), YMCA, YWCA (the "C" stands for Christian, Arnold), Red Cross (imagine, putting the word "Cross" in the name of an institution). How did these evil people in this horrid religion happen to found all these charitable organizations? Well, perhaps we'll find out when you publish your book. I'll bet it will be a real page-turner!
- Richard Hofstadter’s insights into the "paranoid style in American politics” lauded in the NYT
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Researchers have discovered a previously unknown 149-page manuscript defending homosexuality.
- What Counts as Historical Evidence? The Fracas over John Stauffer’s Black Confederates
- Israeli journalist-turned-biographer, Shabtai Teveth, is remembered for his attack on the New Historians