Secret history of U.S. Special Operations Command publishedBreaking News
steadily expand, a new official history looks back at the
origins and development of SOCOM.
"Since its creation in 1987, USSOCOM has supported conventional
forces and conducted independent special operations throughout
the world, participating in all major combat operations,"
writes SOCOM Commander General Bryan D. Brown.
The new account, prepared by the SOCOM history office and
obtained by Secrecy News, describes in new detail the major
SOCOM operations of the past two decades up through the
"After 9/11, the first SOF [special operations forces]
counterterrorism operations were not conducted in Afghanistan
or even in the Middle East, but in Europe," the SOCOM history
"In late September 2001, U.S. SOF learned that Islamic
extremists with connections to Usama bin Laden were in Bosnia.
SOCEUR forces quickly put together Operation RESOLUTE EAGLE to
capture them. U.S. SOF surveilled the terrorists, detained one
of the groups, and facilitated the capture of another group by
coalition forces. These raids resulted in the capture of all
the suspected terrorists and incriminating evidence for
prosecution and intelligence exploitation."
Other operations, like the battle of Tora Bora, were admittedly
"The fact that SOF came as close to capturing or killing UBL
[Usama bin Laden] as U.S. forces have to date makes Tora Bora
a controversial fight. Given the commitment of fewer than 100
American personnel, U.S. forces proved unable to block egress
routes from Tora Bora south into Pakistan, the route that UBL
most likely took."
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"