Latino groups pressure PBS over Ken Burns WWII seriesBreaking News
comments powered by Disqus
George Robert Gaston - 4/13/2007
The Second World War as it is now being taught seems to consist of the Tuskegee airmen and Japanese internment. They might as well add Latinos. I suppose any expansion of knowledge is good.
However, it might be considered impolite to mention that some small towns in the American south lost their entire population of young men between June and December 1944, and that Italian-American men had causality rates far higher than their percentage of the population.
WWII brings up some questions that we need to ask and that historians should try to answer. Not the least among these is what was it about twentieth century European culture that produced the monsters that governed Germany, the Soviet Union and Italy.
While we are at it maybe exploring what it is in Japanese culture that would lead to their army's behavior toward civilian populations and prisoners of war. It could be that NPR may better serve our understanding of history (and China) if they had a seven hour discussion of the rape of Nanjing.
A serious discussion of how Croat Nazis allied themselves with Germany in killing off huge numbers of their Serb neighbors, and how this may have influenced some of the things that are happening in the Balkans may be a better use of the time than comparing service records by American racial and ethnic groups.
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"