Study debunks theory of 'Napoleon complex'Breaking News
But now the so-called Napoleon complex or Short Man Syndrome -- which determines that 80 per cent of the population believe that small men are angry -- has been put to the test by scientists who have established that, on average, it is tall men who are more likely to become the aggressor in conflicts.
The research is likely to be welcomed by shorter men, who have complained that they face discrimination and more challenges in life than their taller compatriots. Research has shown that shorter men tend to earn less and are deemed less attractive to women, although the three-times married Tom Cruise might disagree with the estimate that for every inch shorter you are, 5 per cent fewer women will find you attractive.
Psychologist Alfred Adler named the "Napoleon complex" after him. Historians disagree as to whether he was 5ft 2in (158cm) or 5ft 6in tall.
According to police records from 1902, the Russian despot measured "2 archin, 4-1/2 vershoks". An archin is 28 inches and a vershok 1.75 inches, suggesting he was 5' 4".
The Minister of Propaganda and Public Entertainment in Nazi Germany -- nicknamed "the malicious dwarf" -- was 5ft 5in.
... and the tall of it
The former Iraqi dictator, notorious for mass killings, inter-party "cleansings" and murderous whims, towered over most of his rivals at 6ft 2in.
At 6 ft 4in, the former president of Uganda was as tall as his regime was brutal. His 10th son, Jaffar, once said most of his brothers were taller than their father.
Osama Bin Laden
The al-Qa'ida leader is described by the FBI as being tall - 6ft 4-1/2 - and thin, weighing in the region of 165 lbs (75kg).
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history