Bill to expand Idaho's Japanese internment camp siteBreaking News
Today, just 73 acres of the original camp make up the Minidoka Internment National Monument east of Jerome and north of Eden.
On Monday, Idaho Senators Larry Craig and Mike Crapo and Rep. Mike Simpson introduced legislation that would expand the site, according to a press release from the leaders...
The legislation authorizes the expansion of the monument by 128 acres, including Herrmann Farm. It also authorizes an 8-acre site in Bainbridge Island, Wash., as part of the site. [The Bainbridge Island Japanese American Monument Act passed the House by 419-0 in February.]
The island site was the nation's first internment camp, and the first stop for many people who were then shipped to other camps, like Minidoka.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity