Statisticians helped 'Jesus tomb' filmmakersBreaking News
Some religious scholars and archaeologists, however, have not been convinced by the numbers.
Filmmakers showed the two boxes on Monday while promoting their documentary,"The Lost Tomb of Jesus," produced by Oscar-winning director James Cameron and airing on the Discovery Channel on March 4...
The first of the ossuaries' inscriptions, written in Aramaic, reads,"Yeshua bar Yosef," or"Jesus son of Joseph." The second, in Hebrew, reads,"Maria." The third, in Hebrew, reads,"Matia," or"Matthew." The fourth inscription, in Hebrew, reads,"Yose," a nickname for"Yosef," or"Joseph." The fifth, in Greek, reads,"Mariamene e Mara," which the filmmakers said means"Mary the master" or"Mary the teacher." The sixth, in Aramaic, reads,"Yehuda bar Yeshua," or Judah son of Jesus."
[Toronto filmmaker Simcha] Jacobovici said the ossuaries did not initially seem extraordinary because the names were all common.
But the filmmakers had statisticians calculate the likelihood that any other family in first-century Jerusalem would have had that cluster of names.
"The numbers range from 1 in 100 to 1 in 1,000 that there is some other family," said Andrey Feuerverger, a professor of mathematics at the University of Toronto.
'Lost Tomb of Jesus' press conference (60-slides) Israel may open 'Jesus tomb' to public (Jerusalem Post) True or not, `Lost Tomb' tale is never dull (preview in Toronto Star TV column) The 'Lost Tomb of Jesus' Nonsense (L. Brent Bozell III) Is this the biggest archaeological story of the century? (selected views of New Zealand Herald readers) Official website of"Lost Tomb of Jesus"
comments powered by Disqus
Beth elana p - 2/28/2007
Here's the official site about the finds, the research, the history, and debates. There's also original footage:
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich
- Niall Ferguson leaving Harvard for Stanford