U.S. Mint introduces new Presidential dollar coinsBreaking News
U.S. Mint officials are hoping they have overcome the problems that doomed the Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea dollars. Coin experts are skeptical.
The new $1 coins, the first in a series featuring four presidents a year, were to go into circulation on Thursday, just before next week's President's Day celebrations.
comments powered by Disqus
Mike Hodas - 2/16/2007
I agree that the new dollar coin will create technical problems. However, I have content problem. Why another bill, coin or stamp picturing presidents? It just continues the process of Cesaerization or president centerization of United States.
Was William Henry Harrison more important than Henry Clay or Daniel Webster? Was Chester A. Arthur more significant than James G. Blaine? Was William Howard Taft more significant than Robert M. La Follette?
Why not have a contest among historians to pick the fifty most important Congressmen/women? That would help increase knowledge instead of the same old dead presidents.
Michael Finn - 2/15/2007
OK, A new dollar coin is a great idea, but it will, like the two previous dollar coins, fail. Why?
In order for a coin to be in circulation it must be used by the millions of people who operate cash registers in the country.
Every cash register (at least in the US) has five compartments for change. If you want to add a new coin you first have to change the equipment that holds the coins.
Until a coin is convienent for cashiers to handle it won't be handled at all. It doesn't matter who is pictured on the coin.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity