Michelangelo lived inside St Peter's BasilicaBreaking News
Basilica of St Peter's during the last 17 years of his life, according to a report Friday in daily La Repubblica. The report cites a recently discovered receipt dating back to March 1557, in which an engraver was paid "10 scudi" for making a key
for a chest "in the room in St Peter's where Master Michelangelo retires to."
Historians had always suspected that the great Renaissance artist spent his last years inside the Vatican. But this is the first time that evidence has been found to corroborate their theory and pinpoint its exact location.
"Michelangelo lived inside the basilica. No one before had been able to verify it. This document casts new light on a theory that until yesterday we could only imagine," art historian Maria Cristina Carlo-Stella told La Repubblica.
Michelangelo's alleged room is now a library inside the basilica's Historic Archive, which is positioned behind the church's dome. Researchers use it to study its documents and commonly refer to it as "Michelangelo's room."
Michelangelo is thought to have lived there from January 1547 until his death, which took place on February 18, 1564. The basilica was still under construction at the time.
The artist had previously worked on his famous Last Judgment fresco in the Vatican's Sistine Chapel, between 1534 and 1541.
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport