Secret WWII plan to hide soldiers in GibraltarBreaking News
More than 60 years after the end of the Second World War, a retired doctor from Preston has been named as the chamber's last survivor, as researchers struggle to unlock its remaining secrets.
"I had a telephone call one day and they came over," Dr Bruce Cooper said yesterday. Only now has the 92-year-old broken his silence on the mission whose existence was one of the war's best-kept secrets.
comments powered by Disqus
Jim Crone - 2/7/2007
Unfortunately piece was heavily edited by the Independent on Sunday which did nothing more than provide an account of what was already known ten years ago. The edited peice completely failed to cover the following three elements;
1. Dr Coopers description of the secret chamber that he was taken to in 1942 is in some aspects different to the layout of "Stay Behind Cave". This is now fuelling existing rumours that a second secret chamber is yet to be discovered. I have a sketch of such a chamber in my research files, it originated from an MI6 source. Further information has come from a former GCHQ telegraphist which suggests that tandem Operation Tracer units operated during the Suez crisis, so this may also have been the case in Gibraltar.
2. On several occasions during the past month a specialist team has been searching the Upper Rock area of Gibraltar for evidence of a second chamber and two areas are of interest within MOD property.
3. Discussions are currently taking place in the hope of bringing Dr Cooper to Gibraltar to reunite him with "Stay Behind" Cave or to possibly identify the whereabouts of a second secret chamber.
I am actually one of the researchers who interviewed Dr Cooper on behalf of the discovergibraltar.com website. A substantial amount of information has been added to the website which includes MP3 audio clips of Dr Cooper talking, also photographs of him in 1942 as well as photographs taken of him at the meeting. The section also includes up to date information about Operation Tracer and photographs of Stay Behind Cave taken at the beginning of January 2007.
- Middle Tenn. State President Wants to Strip Confederate General’s Name From Building
- Trump will get more GOP primary votes than anyone in history (because more people are voting)
- Labour Party suspends former Mayor of London for implying Hitler supported Zionism
- At Virginia home of President Monroe, a sizable revision of history
- Thirty Years After Chernobyl, Debate Rages About Nuclear Power
- The Unconference Movement Grows – And Historians Are Taking the Lead
- New appeal to "Bring Back Military History"
- Former secretary of state Henry Kissinger discusses his controversial career
- Annette Gordon-Reed subjects herself to Reddit, the “anything-goes” social media website
- Historian Nick Turse says the Pentagon has blacklisted him for making multiple FOIA requests