Hindus opposing EU swastika banBreaking News
Ramesh Kallidai of the Hindu Forum of Britain said the swastika had been a symbol of peace for thousands of years before the Nazis adopted it.
He said a ban on the symbol would discriminate against Hindus.
Germany, holder of the EU presidency, wants to make Holocaust denial and the display of Nazi symbols a crime.
Mr Kallidai said his organisation was writing to European lawmakers to highlight the issue.
comments powered by Disqus
Lisa Kazmier - 1/20/2007
I agree with you mostly. Hindus should make their case for their symbol (and I forget their name for it, too). If I recall correctly, the symbol was slightly tilted by the Nazis. I thought the Hindus had it as more a box-shaped symbol. It may or may not include dots around the S shapes. Maybe there is a way for Hindus to work through this to represent their symbol for what it means to them and to differentiate that from the Nazis' appropriation of a twisted version of it.
Lorraine Paul - 1/19/2007
I think it is long past time that the symbol was returned to its original status.
When I was travelling from Kansas City to Flagstaff by train I saw an old building on the way that had the symbol (I don't want to call it a swastika) duplicated around the outside walls as a decoration. Of course this would have been built long before the 1930's.
Political correctness can go too far!
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges