Hindus opposing EU swastika banBreaking News
Ramesh Kallidai of the Hindu Forum of Britain said the swastika had been a symbol of peace for thousands of years before the Nazis adopted it.
He said a ban on the symbol would discriminate against Hindus.
Germany, holder of the EU presidency, wants to make Holocaust denial and the display of Nazi symbols a crime.
Mr Kallidai said his organisation was writing to European lawmakers to highlight the issue.
comments powered by Disqus
Lisa Kazmier - 1/20/2007
I agree with you mostly. Hindus should make their case for their symbol (and I forget their name for it, too). If I recall correctly, the symbol was slightly tilted by the Nazis. I thought the Hindus had it as more a box-shaped symbol. It may or may not include dots around the S shapes. Maybe there is a way for Hindus to work through this to represent their symbol for what it means to them and to differentiate that from the Nazis' appropriation of a twisted version of it.
Lorraine Paul - 1/19/2007
I think it is long past time that the symbol was returned to its original status.
When I was travelling from Kansas City to Flagstaff by train I saw an old building on the way that had the symbol (I don't want to call it a swastika) duplicated around the outside walls as a decoration. Of course this would have been built long before the 1930's.
Political correctness can go too far!
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"