S.M.U. Faculty Complains About Bush Library
In a meeting Tuesday, faculty members complained of a lack of consultation over the emerging agreement and all but demanded answers from the university’s president, R. Gerald Turner, on the relationship that would develop between the university and the library....
Thomas J. Knock, a professor of history, said the public might have trouble differentiating between the library, museum and the university.
James K. Hopkins, chairman of the history department who was co-chairman of the meeting with Ms. Blair, a professor of theater, said he had asked Dr. Turner under what circumstances the university would “walk away” from a deal with the library.
“There was this very indirect response to that,” Dr. Hopkins said.
History vs. Hagiography
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 1/11/2007
Dr. Hopkins is the Dixie Chicks is Dan Rather is Chris Matthews is Ward Churchill, ad infinitum. How can an individual, indeed an historian, be so removed from history happening as to be biased against an archive of the stature of a presidential library.George Bush is a two term president enduring the enmity of a bitter and biased media while the country is in a period of prosperity unmatched in any age. That alone should make him interesting to students not yet born, even if the Dixie Chicks and Dr. Hopkins are shamed by his Texas roots.
- Bettany Hughes interview: The historian on how Socrates would have solved Greece's problems
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid