Japan to Pay Compensation to War Orphans
The 65 plaintiffs claimed the government was responsible for their delayed return to Japan and upon their return, had failed to provide adequate support to help them reintegrate into Japanese society. They were each seeking $285,000 in compensation.
The Kobe District Court ordered the state to pay between $57,000 and $199,000 to 61 of the plaintiffs, according to court official Yukio Ogushi. The court rejected claims by four others, he said. The total amount of compensation will be more than $4 million, Kyodo News agency reported.
comments powered by Disqus
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland
- NYT praises James McPherson for finding a way to remain objective about Jeff Davis
- Historian says the removal of Nazi-era art to Switzerland makes restitution unlikely
- Martin Kramer blasts MESA and Steven Salaita