Boston Library Still Missing Antique Maps
Library officials released a detailed list of the missing documents to map dealers Wednesday, in case they show up on the market."We'll shine the bright light and see if some of these things out there can find their way home," Bernard Margolis, president of the Boston Public Library, told The Boston Globe.
The books containing the missing maps were used by E. Forbes Smiley III, a rare maps dealer with a home on Martha's Vineyard. In September, Smiley was sentenced in federal court in New Haven, Conn., to three years in prison for stealing nearly 100 rare maps worth about $3 million from libraries in five cities, including Boston, New York and London.
comments powered by Disqus
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830
- UK teaching "invented" history as EU propaganda, says Cambridge professor
- The move accelerates to show that black people have a history
- Eric Foner says he insisted on his MOOC on the Civil War being free
- Ellen Schrecker backs “National Adjunct Walkout Day” as a brilliant tactic