Divided Hungary marks 50th anniversary of anti-Soviet uprising
The move torpedoed efforts to use the 50th anniversary to unite the country in the spirit of the 1956 uprising, when a peaceful student protest spontaneously turned into a mass upheaval against Stalinist oppression.
But on hand to remember the uprising were 18 European presidents and two prime ministers, the kings of Spain and Norway, and the heads of the European Commission and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation.
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate