Winifred Bennett, 71, Is Dead; Proposed Jefferson DNA Tests
The cause was kidney failure, said her daughter, Phoebe Bennett.
As a result of Mrs. Bennett’s idea, an international team of scientists embarked on a genetic study of Jefferson and Hemings descendants. Their findings, published in the journal Nature in 1998, indicated that a male of the Jefferson family, most likely Thomas, fathered at least one of Hemings’s children.
comments powered by Disqus
Herbert Barger - 3/13/2009
As assistant to Dr E.A. Foster on the Jefferson-Hemings DNA Study I was able to have MANY e-mails from him and his manner of operation.
I am sorry for Mrs. Bennett's bitterness toward her former friend, Dr Foster, but in my opinion, it was very much warrented. In order to gain "FAME" (her words in an interview with me and my wife,) Dr Foster ran to Nature with the results before allowing her to first publish the results in her Jefferson book. At that time she was financially supporting the program. She asked him, "Gene, is it money that you want.......his reply.........NO, FAME? He got his fame at the public's expense.
Dr Foster, tested a KNOWN carrier of Jefferson DNA, "A Jefferson uncle", Randolph Jefferson, TJ's younger brother, as he was known by TJ's grandchildren and their slave playmates. He did this and DID NOT so inform Nature, as I had highly recommended. At the time of the original article they knew NOTHING of the claims of the Eston Hemings family claims. As I warned him, there was a match BUT this was Randolph NOT Thomas.
Mrs. Bennette, we are sorry to hear of your untimely death and the anger and sorry in your life attributable to Dr Foster. The Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society (www.tjheritage.org) is working dillegently to bring TRUTH to this study and to get Monticello to update their biased and misguided research.
Founder, Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- For G.O.P., Support for Israel Becomes New Litmus Test
- Yale’s Beinecke Library Buys Vast Collection of Lincoln Photos
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history
- Role-playing history game gets students jazzed