The Chicago History Museum expects its popularity to grow with the opening of its costume exhibitBreaking News
In fact, the newly remodeled Chicago History Museum is banking on it.
The Chicago Historical Society reopens Saturday after a 10-month renovation with a new name and, for the first time in a long time, a permanent venue to show off one of the largest costume collections in the nation.
Costume exhibits are popular attractions and almost always spark an increase in attendance, a fact that isn't lost on the museum's president, Gary Johnson.
comments powered by Disqus
Tim Lacy - 10/3/2006
For those of you not located the Chicago area, costumes are not the focus at the newly remodeled Chicago History Museum (CHM). This excerpt does not do justice to the institution's changes. Here's a better article on their remodeling: http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/premium/printedition/Thursday/atplay/chi-0609280241sep28,1,754724.story (Chicago Tribune, titled: "At revamped museum, hot dogs to hot rod make history").
For starters, CHM's new exhibit space is not solely dedicated to costume exhibits. Secondly, the goal of the remodeling was to make the institution feel friendlier to all ages, ethnicities, and economic classes (i.e. the name change from "Chicago Historical Society" to "Chicago History Museum").
I hope CHM succeeds in their efforts.
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton