Convicted Ct. witches to be exoneratedBreaking News
Rebecca Greensmith, a contemporary of Mrs. Sanford who admitted to being a witch, testified that she and three other women, including Mrs. Sanford, had met in the woods. She also described meeting some people "under a tree in the green" by her house, where they "danced and had a bottle of sack," or sherry.
The historical record on Mrs. Sanford stops there. Historians surmise, based on other documents, that she was hanged for her crimes. Researchers guess that she was about 39 years old at the time, with five children at home. Records show that her husband later moved to another town and remarried.
Nearly 350 years later, Mrs. Sanford's great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great granddaughter, Debra Avery, wants to right what she believes is a historical wrong: the execution of Mrs. Sanford. Ms. Avery thinks her ancestor may have been prosecuted for religious reasons or for just having a good time. Mrs. Sanford was part of a "group of friends that hung around and danced and drank and stepped outside of acceptable behavior," says Ms. Avery, a 47-year-old resident of New Preston, Conn. "If I was living then, I would be hanged, too."
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity