The Fight Over a Holocaust Suitcase and the Memories It CarriesBreaking News
comments powered by Disqus
Stannous Flouride - 9/19/2006
The details of this very touching story bring to mind several other recent developments- the repatriation of Native American bones, the request for the return of classical art to Italy, Greece, and Egypt, and the need to preserve threatened monuments around the world.
While I have deep sympathy for Monsieur Levî-Leleu I can also see that if this were permitted and set a precedent, the huge piles of artifacts that are such powerful and moving symbols at Auschwitz could easily be decimated.
No easy answers here.
- At Brandis the Afro-American studies faculty is siding with student protesters
- NYT's Notable Books of 2015: These are the history books that made the cut
- Petition signed by 44,000 to add more female thinkers to the Politics A Level syllabus in the UK
- Most Students Have No Clue What Accurate Native American History Looks Like
- Historians Re-Enter Presidential Studies