Thatcher and Attlee voted best PMsBreaking News
Sir Winston Churchill, who led Britain to victory in the second World War, only merits a fourth place in the list of 20 and the current incumbent Tony Blair struggles to finish mid-table. Thatcher's dramatic victory in her battle with the trade unions and her transformation of post-war Britain secured her top spot in the list produced by historian and journalist Francis Beckett. Attlee, the Labour premier who led Britain from 1945 to 1951 and created the National Health Service and the modern welfare state ranked alongside her at the top. Beckett produced his list by ranking Prime Ministers who led the country in the last century on a score of one to five. Thatcher and Atlee were the only two to get full marks, while Churchill was awarded four points. Writing in this month's BBC History Magazine, Beckett said Blair's initial success in pushing through reforms of the public services had been derailed by the collapse in public support in the aftermath of the Iraq war. He got three points. Perhaps most controversially, Beckett puts Churchill in fourth place in his list behind Edward Heath, who took Britain into the European Union. Beckett hails Churchill's achievement during World War II, but stresses that he then proceeded to lose the 1945 election. He also questions his domestic achievements when he was returned to office in 1951.
comments powered by Disqus
- Smithsonian launches campaign to raise $10 million for women’s history initiative
- Trump Was Not Always So Linguistically Challenged
- 75th anniversary of the World War 2 black uprising that the American public never heard about
- Longest serving governor in U.S. history to resign after confirmation as Trump's ambassador to China
- Did the First Human Ancestor Emerge in Europe, Not Africa?
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?