Incumbent senators who have lost primary races: The ListBreaking News
Year Senator Party State
2002 Robert C. Smith R N.H.
1996 Sheila Frahm R Kan.
1992 Alan Dixon D Ill.
1980 Mike Gravel D Alaska
1980 Jacob Javits R N.Y.
1980 Donald Stewart D Ala.
1980 Richard Stone D Fla.
1978 Clifford Case R N.J.
1976 James Buckley C N.Y.
1974 J.W. Fulbright D Ark.
1974 Howard Metzenbaum D Ohio
1972 David Gambrell D Ga.
1972 Everett Jordan D N.C.
1970 Ralph Yarborough D Texas
1968 Ernest Gruening D Alaska
1968 Thomas Kuchel R Calif.
1968 Frank Lausche D Ohio
1968 Edward Long D Mo.
1966 Ross Bass D Tenn.
1966 A. Willis Robertson D Va.
1958 William Blakely D Texas
1954 Alton Lennon D N.C.
1952 Owen Brewster R Maine
1952 Kenneth McKellar D Tenn.
1950 Chan Gurney R S.D.
1950 Claude Pepper D Fla.
1950 Glen Taylor D Idaho
1950 Elmer Thomas D Okla.
Source: The Senate Historian's Office
comments powered by Disqus
DM Jordan - 8/5/2006
D'Amato is a Republican and therefore, unless New York has very open primaries, did not lose to Schumer in the primary, but instead in the general election.
Joe R de Marco - 8/5/2006
The Senate Historian's Office has forgotten about Alfonse D'Amato -- Senator Pothole -- who lost his re-election bid to Senator Schumer in 1998
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges