Historians in Hong Kong to Debate Role of Catholic Church in the Boxer RebellionRoundup: Talking About History
Ambrose Leung, writing in the China Morning Post (Dec. 29, 2003):
Historians and clerics from Hong Kong, the mainland, Taiwan and overseas will gather in the city for the first time next year to discuss the role of Christian churches in China during the Boxer Rebellion.
The topic has long been considered sensitive due to the links between foreign missionaries and western nations that were expanding their influence over the declining Qing dynasty.
The canonisation of Christians killed during the rebellion has been the source of friction between China and the Vatican .
Organisers say about 30 historians and clerics will attend the June conference, which aims to shed new light on religious developments in contemporary China .
Peter Ng Tze-ming, director of Chinese University 's Centre for the Study of Religion and Chinese Society, which is organising the conference with the Catholic Church's Holy Spirit Study Centre, said talks would be "purely academic".
"We don't want it to become politicised," Professor Ng said. "In a way the focus is beyond the Boxer Rebellion as we will look at the evolution of the Christian churches before and after the period .
"The incidents at the time actually helped the churches to increase their wisdom, and changes introduced after the incidents were positive and helped the Christian movement."
The Catholic Church in Hong Kong was plunged into a row with Beijing in October 2000 after Pope John Paul canonised 120 Chinese martyrs - many killed during the 1898 to 1900 Boxer Rebellion.
The central government denounced the move as an insult to the Chinese nation, saying most of the missionaries and believers were executed at the time for committing crimes when imperialists were invading China .
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich