Following is a list of historians who have been the subject of news stories. The list is arranged in reverse chronological order, as are the entries within each section.
CARLOS MESA: The Historian Who Became the President of Bolivia
DAVID McCULLOUGH: Wins Boston Patriot Award
- The Freedom Trail Foundation today announced that David McCullough has been named the recipient of the 2003 Boston Patriot Award.
- The National Endowment for the Humanities has named David McCullough as the 2003 Jefferson Lecturer in the Humanities.
- Mr. McCullough: Invited to attend the Bush State of the Union Address, 2003
- Philip Nobile, The David McCullough Nobody Knows
RICHARD NORTON SMITH: Picked to Run the Lincoln Presidential Library
KENNETH T. JACKSON: Leaving the NY Historical
DANIEL PIPES: Nominated by President Bush.
- Wall Street Journal endorses Pipes's nomination.
- LAT endorses Pipes's nomination.
- Washington Post: Is his nomination in trouble?
- frontpagemag.com:"The Council of American Islamic Relations (CAIR) and its allies are working to turn the hearings [on Pipes's nomination] into a lynching party of Borkian proportions."
- Pipes sued by sociology professor at the University of Oregon who claims he was faslely depicted as an anti-Semite.
- Bush makes a recess appointment; Pipes is in.
- Wall Street Journal: Pipes is the victim of Muslim slanders.
- Washington Post recommends the Senate reject Pipes's nomination.
- "Muslims Protest Bush Nominee"
- President Bush has nominated Middle East expert Daniel Pipes to the board of directors at the U.S. Institute of Peace.
- "York Center for International and Security Studies, withdrew last week as a co-sponsor of the forum and canceled a private luncheon with Mr. Pipes because of his involvement with Campus Watch" (Chronicle of Higher Education, January 27, 2003).
- Stanley Kurtz defends Pipes in an article in National Review (January 7, 2003).
DAVID GARROW: Not Teaching this Semester at Emory
JOSEPH BRAUDE: Arrested for Allegedly Smuggling in Iraqi Artifacts
GEORGE CHAUNCEY: Fighting for Civil Liberties for Gay People
RASHID KHALIDI: Criticized for his views on the Middle East.
JAMES F. BROOKS: Takes Home 3 History Prizes
JOHN ESPOSITO: Feeling Under Attack
PHILIP FONER: Guilty of Plagiarism?
CHRISTINE HEYRMAN: Trouble Counting?
KEITH WINDSCHUTTLE: Under Attack in Australia
- Establishment historians in Australia attack Windschuttle; conservatives rally to his defense.
- Blogger Erin O'Connor reviews the controversy and defends Windschuttle.
- Windschuttle defended from plagiarism charge.
- Controversial Australian historian Keith Windschuttle has been accused of plagiarism by one of his critics, La Trobe University professor Robert Manne.
- Keith Windschuttle , author of The Fabrication of Aboriginal History, argues that"the genocide of Aborigines in Tasmania is a myth, perpetrated by left-wing apologists and based on distorted or fabricated historical evidence."
STEPHEN HOWARTH: Victim of Plagiarism?
ROBERT CARO: Jumps into the Filibuster Fight
BRIAN VANDEMARK: Accused of Plagiarism
ILAN PAPPE: Haifa University Nixes His Conference
ROBERT DAVID"KC" JOHNSON: Awarded tenure.
NIALL FERGUSON: TV historian accused of romanticizing British imperialism.
- The revisionist argument over empire.
- False and dangerous: Revisionist TV history of Britain's empire is an attempt to justify the new imperial order.
- "'It's like being naked in the street' Niall Ferguson is the latest historian to strike it rich on television. So why, asks Cassandra Jardine, is he so afraid of poverty?"
NICHOLAS DeGENOVA: Calls for a Million Mogadishus
- Columbia resists call of Republican congressmen to fire DeGenova.
- 104 House members demand firing of Columbia Assistant Professor DeGenova.
- At an antiwar rally De Genova, who teaches history and anthropology, began by denouncing U.S. flags as the"emblem of the invading war machine in Iraq today. They are the emblem of the occupying power. The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." He then called upon American troops to murder their officers and expressed the hope"for a million Mogadishus."
GEORGE CHAUNCEY: Challenging the Anti-Sodomy Laws
- "A group of historians, led by University of Chicago Professor George Chauncey, filed an amicus (or friend of the court) brief for the appellants, pointing to errors and confusion in the Bowers court's interpretation of the historical record on state anti-sodomy laws, including its definition of"sodomy" itself."
MILITARY HISTORIANS: Reservists Who Are Collecting the History of the War in Iraq
IAN KERSHAW: Breaks with TV producers of movie based on his book.
HENRY KAMEN: Under attack in Spain.
JOHN HOPE FRANKLIN: Joing the lawsuit filed by victims of the Tulsa Race Riot.
JOERG FRIEDRICH: The Germans were victims of Allied bombing in WW II.
ANDREW ROBERTS: Host of a new BBC series on history.
- "Andrew Roberts, the acclaimed historian, whose new BBC series will propel him into the ranks of popular presenters, is an unashamed master of self-promotion. But he still finds time for 'the woman of my dreams.'"
- "The BBC, he is pleased to report, has not forced him to dumb down when discussing Hitler and Churchill."
CHRISTOPHER HILL: Was he a Soviet mole?
BENNY MORRIS: Disenchanted
ERIC HOBSBAWM: Still Likes the Soviet Union
DONALD KAGAN: Awarded National Humanities Medal
BASHEER NAFI: Accused of being an Islamic terrorist.
JACK GRANATSTEIN: Testifies in favor of war with Iraq.
CHRIS ANDREW: Professor chosen to write official history of MI5.
LOUIS MENAND: Orwell was"honest, decent, wrong."
ALLEN MURPHY: Dispute about his claim that Justice Douglas wasn't entitled to be buried at Arlington.
DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN: Her son may be going off to fight in Iraq.
HASHEM AGHAJARI: Death sentence revoked.
JAN GROSS: Historian who revealed the truth about a Polish town's where hundreds of Jews were killed.
- Jan Gross in 1999 revealed that"Jedwabne's pogrom was not, as local legend had it, the work of Polish townsmen acting on orders from occupying Nazi soldiers. Instead, documents and eyewitness accounts showed that Catholic Poles organized and carried out the massacre of their Jewish neighbors." Local prosecutor now says no one will be brought to trial.
ALEX ROLLAND: Historian of NASA
PHILIP ZELIKOW: Appointed executive director of the 9-11 commission
JAMES LINDGREN: Questions survey allegedly conducted by pro-gun economist
JAMES E. JENNINGS: Leads delegation to Iraq to protest war.
AHARON BREGMAN: Discovers identity of the Egyptian who tipped off Israel about invasion that led to the Six Day War
JORG FRIEDRICH: Assailed for Claiming Germans Were Victims Too
HOWARD ZINN: Peacemaker
DAVID IRVING: Denied Visa to Australia
PAUL BUHLE: Accused of Misrepresenting the History of Communism
BRIAN VICTORIA: Credited with Exposing the Violent History of Zen
LYNDALL RYAN: Accused of Mangling Evidence
BRENT GLASS: Profile of the Historian Who Has Taken Over the Smithsonian
JOY HAKIM: New PBS Series Based on Her Books
PETER KIRSTEIN: In Public Brawl with Instapundit
MILAN BULAJIC: Yugoslav Historian Apologizes for Holocaust Quotes
- "Milan Bulajic, who for many years headed the Museum of Genocide Victims in Belgrade and has written many books on the Holocaust in Yugoslavia and particularly on Jasenovac, made a dramatic apology Sunday for failing to present the historical context of testimonies published in his 1989 book Ustaski Zlocini Genocida (The Genocide Crimes of the Ustasha)."
ERIC FONER: His Fight with Daniel Pipes
GLENDA GILMORE: Her Fight with Daniel Pipes
NECIP HABLEMITOGLU: Assassinated in Ankara
CHRISTOPHER ANDREW: Appointed Official Historian of MI5
EUGENE M. TOBIN: President of Hamilton College Resigns
ALAN CHARLES KORS: On Bias in Academia
- Alan Kors, Professor of History at the University of Pennsylvania, is attracting national attention with his new book, The Shadow University: The Betrayal of Liberty on America's Campuses, co-authored with Harvey Silverglate. Kors, President of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE), argues that the left has taken over college campuses.
HENRY REYNOLDS: Caught Misquoting
RICHARD BERTHOLD:"Anybody Who Blows Up the Pentagon Gets My Vote"
ROBERT DALLEK: On Kennedy's Medical Ailments
DANIEL GOLDHAGEN: His Publisher Sued By The Catholic Church
MICHAEL BELLESILES: Misuse of Records, Bad Scholarship, etc.
PETER KIRSTEIN: Denounces a Cadet as a Baby-Killer
ANN LANE: Her Dissertation
JOYCE APPLEBY: Historians' Petition on Iraq
STEPHEN AMBROSE: Accused of Plagiarism
JOSPEH ELLIS: Inventing Stories About His Past
LOUIS ROBERTS: Accused of Plagiarism
EDWARD A. PEARSON: Book Withdrawn by University of North Carolina Press