Tamil Tiger 'regret' over Gandhi
Correspondents say it is the closest the rebels have come to admitting they were responsible for the murder.
India was the first country to ban the Tigers as a result of the killing.
The BBC's Ethirajan Anbarasan says the rebels' expression of regret may be linked to their increased international isolation after recent bans by the European Union and Canada.
He says the rebels feel they need some sort of support from India, which once armed and supported them.
comments powered by Disqus
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success
- Sven Beckert’s List of the Ten Books on Slavery You Need to Read
- Jonathan Zimmerman says homosexuality is not alien to Africa
- Historian Howard Segal says the cost of paying for expensive commencement speeches is diverting funds from where they’re most needed