Little Rock to mark desegregation battleBreaking News
Central High was the nation's first major battleground for school desegregation after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that black children were entitled to the same education as whites. For three weeks in September 1957, Gov. Orval E. Faubus blocked nine black students from enrolling at all-white Central High, forcing a historic confrontation between state and federal authorities over integration.
A small visitors center nearby, operated by the National Parks Service, tells the story of the fight to integrate the school.
But the new center -- which is under construction and scheduled to open in the spring of 2007 -- will have more exhibits and information about the landmark civil rights case. Other commemorative events are planned for September 2007. For more information, go to http://www.nps.gov/chsc/ and click on "Central High School 50th Anniversary."
Little Rock has become an increasingly popular tourist destination following the 2004 opening of the Clinton Presidential Center. Another new attraction under construction is a nature center on the banks of the Arkansas River in downtown Little Rock, not far from the Clinton Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Museum of Discovery.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity