Historians measuring Bush's scandals against past presidentsBreaking News
Historians are measuring them against the brand-name scandals — Watergate, Iran-Contra, Whitewater, Monica - that have plagued previous presidents.
"There is something that is different about the current administration and more worrisome about this," said presidential historian William Leuchtenburg, a University of North Carolina professor emeritus. "The kinds of problems that administrations have had in the past have usually involved bad behavior by an individual on his own."
"What's different about this administration is that the behavior involves important matters of policy of breach of security," Leuchtenburg said. "From what we actually know, it hasn't yet reached the dimensions of the Nixon White House. But it certainly goes beyond the sort of petty personal scandals that one associates with Truman and Eisenhower or with Carter."
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 7/2/2006
Nixon never said he could overrule the House & Senate's laws by fiat. But GWBush says he can, and ignore the Supreme Court too. This goes way beyond the Nixon admin's cover-up of a burglary but instead a coup de criminal of a group of men who's stated purpose is to remake the world outside our boarders and remake the country within it.
John Edward Philips - 6/24/2006
When Grant administration officials were accused of handing out contracts without competitive bids they were forced to resign. When Bush administration officials, even the VP, hand out no-bid contracts to companies they own they not only defend the practice they are not challenged on it.
As Cicero so famously said: "O tempora! O mores!"
- Hillary Clinton’s 3 debate performances left the Trump campaign in ruins
- Now Austria Says It Will Likely Redesign Hitler's House, Not Tear It Down
- Some looted Idlib National Museum artifacts resurface, fate of others a mystery amidst ‘thriving black market trade’
- Is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau constitutional?
- Poll: Millennials desperately need to bone up on the history of communism
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"
- Conservative historians against Trump sign a petition warning he'd be dangerous
- Benjamin H. Irvin Named OAH Executive Editor
- Historian Diana Ramey Berry praises effort to return the skull of Nat Turner to his family