Historians measuring Bush's scandals against past presidentsBreaking News
Historians are measuring them against the brand-name scandals — Watergate, Iran-Contra, Whitewater, Monica - that have plagued previous presidents.
"There is something that is different about the current administration and more worrisome about this," said presidential historian William Leuchtenburg, a University of North Carolina professor emeritus. "The kinds of problems that administrations have had in the past have usually involved bad behavior by an individual on his own."
"What's different about this administration is that the behavior involves important matters of policy of breach of security," Leuchtenburg said. "From what we actually know, it hasn't yet reached the dimensions of the Nixon White House. But it certainly goes beyond the sort of petty personal scandals that one associates with Truman and Eisenhower or with Carter."
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 7/2/2006
Nixon never said he could overrule the House & Senate's laws by fiat. But GWBush says he can, and ignore the Supreme Court too. This goes way beyond the Nixon admin's cover-up of a burglary but instead a coup de criminal of a group of men who's stated purpose is to remake the world outside our boarders and remake the country within it.
John Edward Philips - 6/24/2006
When Grant administration officials were accused of handing out contracts without competitive bids they were forced to resign. When Bush administration officials, even the VP, hand out no-bid contracts to companies they own they not only defend the practice they are not challenged on it.
As Cicero so famously said: "O tempora! O mores!"
- Hillary Clinton Isn’t First Politician to Face Criticism Over Speaking Fees
- Sneak peek of new Smithsonian shows rich black history
- Missouri woman builds slave cabin to bring community together
- German students dressed like Hitler made to visit Argentina Holocaust Museum
- Think Hillary Clinton Will Win in a Landslide? Don’t Bet on It
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton
- Email from historians' group sparks debate about individual liability insurance offered by professional associations
- LGBTQ History in Public Schools Is the Next Gay Rights Frontier says PhD student
- The AP and other news outlets are giving wide attention to the proposal to create a White House Council of Historical Advisors