Bush Compares Iraq War to Hungary's UprisingBreaking News
"The sacrifice of the Hungarian people inspires all who love liberty," Mr. Bush said in a speech at Buda Castle on Gellert Hill, overlooking the Danube and the city below. He continued: "America honors your courage. We've learned from your example, and we resolve that when people stand up for their freedom, America will stand with them."
On a day when lawmakers in Washington were engaged in an intense debate over whether to withdraw troops from Iraq, Mr. Bush thanked the Hungarians for "playing a vital role" in the Iraq war, neglecting to mention that Hungary withdrew its own troops more than a year ago. The president also recounted his visit last week to Baghdad, telling Hungarians that they would "recognize this spirit" of democracy there.
"The lesson of the Hungarian experience is clear," Mr. Bush said. "Liberty can be delayed, but it cannot be denied."
comments powered by Disqus
Mike Schoenberg - 6/26/2006
Not to mention that the USA stood by and watched, doing nothing.
Randll Reese Besch - 6/24/2006
Tyical of this administration to pick a historical moment inconsistant with the realities of occupied IRAQ.
The Hungarians revolted on their own against the combined Russian occupation and Hungarian proxies, no wait, the analogy in correct if the USA fills in for the Russians!
Subtext would suggest such an analogy but for the blather of 'democracy' and 'freedom of the ....peoples' lines as code for 'invasion' and 'surrogates under USA control' does indeed fit.
So perhaps his mightyness Bush
is right,just for the wrong reason.
Stephen Kislock - 6/24/2006
US President G. W. Bush's analogy and metaphor were all wrong.
The US is to Iraq, as the Soviet Unions' invasion was to Hungary!
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity