Bush Compares Iraq War to Hungary's UprisingBreaking News
"The sacrifice of the Hungarian people inspires all who love liberty," Mr. Bush said in a speech at Buda Castle on Gellert Hill, overlooking the Danube and the city below. He continued: "America honors your courage. We've learned from your example, and we resolve that when people stand up for their freedom, America will stand with them."
On a day when lawmakers in Washington were engaged in an intense debate over whether to withdraw troops from Iraq, Mr. Bush thanked the Hungarians for "playing a vital role" in the Iraq war, neglecting to mention that Hungary withdrew its own troops more than a year ago. The president also recounted his visit last week to Baghdad, telling Hungarians that they would "recognize this spirit" of democracy there.
"The lesson of the Hungarian experience is clear," Mr. Bush said. "Liberty can be delayed, but it cannot be denied."
comments powered by Disqus
Mike Schoenberg - 6/26/2006
Not to mention that the USA stood by and watched, doing nothing.
Randll Reese Besch - 6/24/2006
Tyical of this administration to pick a historical moment inconsistant with the realities of occupied IRAQ.
The Hungarians revolted on their own against the combined Russian occupation and Hungarian proxies, no wait, the analogy in correct if the USA fills in for the Russians!
Subtext would suggest such an analogy but for the blather of 'democracy' and 'freedom of the ....peoples' lines as code for 'invasion' and 'surrogates under USA control' does indeed fit.
So perhaps his mightyness Bush
is right,just for the wrong reason.
Stephen Kislock - 6/24/2006
US President G. W. Bush's analogy and metaphor were all wrong.
The US is to Iraq, as the Soviet Unions' invasion was to Hungary!
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea