Arizona legislators want Old Glory and the Constitution in every public school classroom (colleges, too)
Mott wrote to legislators about his concerns and the result will be reaching the Arizona governor’s office: legislation to require every public college or university to display an American flag in every classroom — and copies of the Bill of Rights and Constitution, too. There’s no word on whether the governor will sign the bill but — in the words of one college official — “it’s hard to veto a flag bill.”
The legislation started out with just the flag requirement and it applies to all levels of public education in the state, although most elementary and secondary schools already have flags in every classroom, so minimal impact is expected there. The flags would have to be at least 2 feet by 3 feet and be properly displayed. As the bill moved through the Legislature, it was amended to also require that legible copies of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights must also be on display in every classroom.
comments powered by Disqus
Stephen Kislock - 6/24/2006
We are waving good by to the Constitution, whenever we get out our flags, in support of the Bush/Cheney Administration! Patriotism, is being used to Bury the Fourth Amendment....
Putting the Constitution on the walls of every classroom means Nothing, when G.W.Bush picks and chooses which LAW he will Obey!
- Kissinger Memo from 1972: Make the North Vietnamese think Nixon and I are crazy
- How Much U.S. History Do Americans Actually Know? Less Than You Think.
- Ice cream cone named after Adolf Hitler on sale in India sparks anger in Germany
- Expressing Outrage over Attacks on Cultural Heritage of Iraq, General Assembly Unanimously Adopts Resolution Calling for Urgent Action
- Isis Palmyra demolition has begun with ancient God Lion statue destroyed
- Robert S. Wistrich, Scholar of Anti-Semitism, Dies at 70
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay