Flags From The Revolutionary War Are Going On The BlockBreaking News
"They represented the soul of the regiment," says Dave Redden of Sotheby's auction house. "They represented the cause for which they were fighting."
Now, more than two centuries later, the battle flags are up for auction at Sotheby's in New York.
British warrior Banastre Tarleton captured them and sent them to his home in England, where his heirs passed them down.
"They're worth millions," Redden says.
Tarleton's descendants say they are selling the flags now because they can not afford to insure them.
One, which Redden describes as a "sacred icon," is estimated to be worth between $1.5 million to $3.5 million.
comments powered by Disqus
- Norma Basch, pioneer in legal history, has died
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders